Our mind can be our best friend, and it can also be our worst enemy. Undetected saboteurs in our mind cause most of our setbacks and we are not even aware of it. This 3-minute 4-3-2-1 hack will bring you fully present, short circuit your imposter syndrome and positively impact your confidence.
Before starting, notice that internal voice that is impacting your confidence or creating stress right now. What is the voice saying to you? Say it aloud to yourself.
Now that you have named it, put it aside on a metaphorical shelf, just for the moment, you can invite it back after this exercise if you wish.
Sit in a comfortable position – pause any electronic and other distractions – Start by Taking 3 Deep Breaths.
Take a 4-second-deep breath though your nose, hold for 3 seconds, slowly exhale through your mouth for 4 seconds.
Do this three times and then answer the following questions:
- What are 4 things you can see? Look for minute details such as a pattern on the ceiling, the way light reflects off a surface, or an object you nearby.
- What are 3 things you can feel? Notice the sensation of clothing on your body, the sun on your skin, or the feeling of the chair you are sitting in. Pick up an object and examine its weight, texture, and other physical qualities.
- What are 2 things you can hear? Pay special attention to the sounds your mind has tuned out, such as a ticking clock, distant traffic, birds chirping or trees blowing in the wind.
- What is 1 thing you can smell? Try to notice smells in the air around you, like the aroma of food, coffee, or an air freshener. You may also look around for something that has a scent, such as a flower or an unlit candle.
- State one Positive Affirmation about yourself – Out Loud
- Finish this practice by Taking 3 Deep Breaths, just like you did to start the practice.
What do you notice?